As the designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH Metropolitan Area, the BHJ-MPC mission is to fulfill the federal transportation planning requirements of the most current authorized surface transportation legislation, the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21). The overall scope of this transportation- planning process considers short and long-term projects and strategies that strengthen the region’s transportation network by integrating the newly updated eight metropolitan planning factors listed in MAP-21. These planning factors are:
- Support the economic vitality of the metropolitan area, especially by enabling global competitiveness, productivity, and efficiency.
- Increase the safety of the transportation system for motorized and nonmotorized users.
- Increase the security of the transportation system for motorized and nonmotorized users.
- Increase the accessibility and mobility options available to people and for freight.
- Protect and enhance the environment, promote energy conservation, improve quality of life, and promote consistency between transportation improvements and State and local planned growth and economic development patterns.
- Enhance the integration and connectivity of the transportation system, across and between modes, for people and freight.
- Promote efficient system management and operation.
- Emphasize the preservation of the existing transportation system.